Home> Hospitals

Hospitals Archive

Makati Medical Center

September 8, 2009 Category :Hospitals 5

The Makati Medical Center was conceived to be one necessary and important feature in a developer’s plan for a total self-contained community in a suburb slowly shaping up in the South of Manila, in the early and mid-sixties. Then, the price of real estate in the now plush Forbes Park subdivision hovered around the innocuous figure of Php 100.00 per square meter as compared to Tondo’s Php 418.00 to 500.00 per square meter and Sampaloc’s Php 320.00 to 400.00 per square meter. Young folks then danced to the rock music of the Beatles, while the whole country was electrified by the successful launching of Apollo 10 which put the first man on the moon. Then, the prestigious Asian Institute of Management was being put up by the joint effort of the Ateneo University, De La Salle University and the Harvard Business School. The favorite pizza joint (then the only one in the country) was the Plaza Restaurant at the Makati Shopping Center, owned by the owners of the Aristocrat chain. It was about this time when Enrique Zobel, the top man of the Ayala conglomerate, asked three prominent figures in medical practice at that time, to compose the core group of what was to become the leading hospital in the country. Dr. Constantino P. Manahan, a famous OB-Gyne specialist and Dr. Jose Y. Fores , an equally well-known and distinguished surgeon and Dr. Mariano M. Alimurung, a world renowned cardiologist answered Zobel’s call. The following lines are from the recollections of Dr. Carlos L. Sevilla, a founding group member, who became the Vice-Chairman of the Board ad Treasurer and later on the hospital’s Chairman of the Department of Opthalmology, of the years when the Makati Medical Center was just a dream in the minds of its founders. “The dream took root years before its inauguration. Frustrated by the dearth of facilities and technology for modern medical procedures and advanced training in the country, a group of idealist medical professionals got together to pursue a common goal – the establishment of a hospital equipped with the best and the latest in medical facilities and technology, to be manned by the most competent and well-trained medical staff; a hospital which approximates those abroad so that Filipino medical graduates need not go out of the country for advanced training and specialization. That group of medical professional, composed of the country’s more respected medical practitioners, formed MMC’s founding group. “On May 31, 1969, the Makati Medical Center formally opened its doors to the public. To us its founders, that day marked the fulfillment of a dream and the culmination of years of hard work and sacrifices. Even before its tie-up with the Makati Municipal government for the Makati Health Program (MHP), we had our own charity program for the indigents of Makati as well as those form other cities, municipalities and provinces. Some of them pay a minimal amount for medicines, the more indigent ones do not pay anything at all. But definitely, there is no dividing line in the quality of our service; we treat our charity cases in the same manner accorded their pay patients. The Makati Medical Center Health Programs – MMC Charity Program – Computerized Imaging Institute – Industrial Health Clinics – Out Patient Department Charity – Remedios T. Romualdez Memorial – College of Nursing – Tropical Disease Foundation The MAKATI MEDICAL CENTER (MMC) was established by a group of dedicated medical professionals with a common vision to administer medical care of the highest order, and to make MMC the leading provider of health care in the country.
Location: Makati Medical Center 2 Amorsolo Street Makati City Philippines 1200 Phone +632 8159911 +632 8925544 Fax +632 8195423

, , ,

Manila Doctors Hospital

September 8, 2009 Category :Hospitals 14

Manila Doctors Hospital (MDH) started operations in 1956. MDH is owned and governed by the Manila Medical Services, Inc. (MMSI). The MMSI was incorporated by 14 physicians (see list below) in 1953 as a prelude to establishing MDH in United Nations Avenue, Ermita, Manila. In February 27, 1979, the Metrobank Foundation, Inc. (MBFI) became the majority stockholder of MMSI. The MDH has been envisioned by MBFI to be its major corporate social responsibility project in health. In May, 2003, the term of existence of MMSI has been extended to another 50 years (2053). Since its beginning, Manila Doctors Hospital has been a private tertiary hospital with an authorized bed-capacity of 300. Over the years, it has continually developed its entire medical and support departments to become one of the top five hospitals and top of mind hospital in Metro Manila. Infrastructure wise, it started with a single 5-story building in 1956. In August 15, 1984, an 8-story Medical Arts Center was built to house more clinics for physicians given the privilege to practice in the hospital. In July, 1989, a 12-story Norberto Ty Medical Tower was built to house more patient rooms and provide more spaces for ancillary and other support services. Major renovations started in 2003 up to the present (2006). In December 8, 2003, the etrobank Foundation Hall established at the Penthouse of Norberto Ty Medical Tower was inaugurated. In 2004, the 5-story Ancillary Services Center in 2004 was completed and housed the Industrial Medical Services Department, Medical Records, Finance Department, Dormitory, and Chapel. In December 8, 2005, the 5-story Doņa Salustiņa Medical Tower was established and housed more physicians’ clinics and ancillary services as well as parking spaces and the hospital cafeteria. Equipment wise, it has progressively acquired state of the art diagnostic and therapeutic equipment. At present, it has more recent models of CT Scan, Gamma Camera Scan, and laparoscopic equipment. Quality management system wise, in December, 2005, MDH became the first hospital in Manila to be ISO 9001:2000 certified. It continued to be accredited by the Department of Health and PhilHealth. Medical training wise, it now has 10 accredited medical specialty residency and fellowship programs, namely: residencies in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, General Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Family and Community Medicine, Ophthalmology, Otorhinolarynogology, and Radiology, and fellowships in Pulmonology and Gastroenterology. Corporate social responsibility wise, MDH has been conducting in-hospital social service programs, social service programs for underserved communities, and medical-surgical missions out side the hospital. Administration wise, from 1956 to 2002, the medical director was being assisted by the administrator appointed by the Sisters of the Congregation of Saint Paul of Charles in the day-to-day governance of MDH. From 2002 to 2004, MDH was administered by a hospital director from the Hospitalia, International. From 2005 to present, the hospital director is being assisted by 3 directorates and 7 division heads in the day-to-day administration of MDH. The Corporate Planning Office was established in 2005 to facilitate, develop and coordinate the corporate, strategic and operational planning processes and activities of the hospital. Formal strategic planning and annual planning conferences have been held regularly since 1999.
Location: 567 United Nations Avenue, Ermita, Manila Philippines Hotline: +632 524 3011

, , ,

‘Amang’ Rodriguez Medical Center

September 7, 2009 Category :Hospitals 53

The ‘Amang’ Rodriguez Medical Center was upgraded thru Republic Act 8019 from a mere 100-bed Provincial Hospital to a 150-bed Medical Center responsible for research and training of health personnel in their chosen field of expertise.  It caters to a total projected population of approximately 2,600,353 in the cities of Marikina, Antipolo, part of Pasig and the municipalities of Cainta, San Mateo and Rodriguez in Rizal

» Continue Reading