A Career Nursing – Is it the Right Choice for You?
Are you contemplating on what to take up in college? Or are you one who is looking for a change in career? Are you considering of getting a nursing degree but you are having second thoughts if this is the right career for you?
It is important that this fact is mentioned: nursing is not for everyone! A nurse need to have a lot of compassion and the desire to be of service to people other than your family. It is also necessary that you are able to tolerate any amount of pain, suffering, even death, that you will be encountering in a daily basis.
The nursing profession is not an easy job, however, it is one of the most fulfilling and rewarding jobs out there!
So how will you know if you are up for the challenge? How will you know if a career in nursing is the right one for you? You just continue reading and we’ll give you some pointers to help you decide.
- It is important to point out that taking up a nursing degree is challenging. You will need to work very hard and take all your classes seriously. It is for this reason that you need to be read a lot on the demands of nursing school for you to have an idea on how it is like. If you decide to take up nursing, you will have to be prepared to make little sacrifices on your lifestyle because nursing is not to be taken lightly.
- If you have friends or family who are nurses, take the opportunity to talk to them so you get a better understanding of what the nursing profession is all about. They are in a good position to give you first hand insights on the job – help you weigh the advantages and disadvantages of being a nurse.
- The nursing profession is all about helping others. In addition to having the all the required skills for becoming a nurse, an individual should also possess some key qualities – compassionate, helpful, and sympathetic. So if you are hesitant in helping others, then you should consider other fields of study.
- It is also important that you evaluate yourself. Are you ready to work for long hours or even work on shifting schedules? Hospitals are open all the time, even on weekends and holidays. Are you ready to sacrifice some quality time with your family? If you are, then you can be shoo-in to become a nurse.
- You might also want to consider consulting a career counselor. These experts can help you evaluate and examine your skills, as well as your personality to determine the perfect career path is for you. These experts can make recommendations on what could be a suitable career path based on your interests, your personality, and your talents.
Some people opine that the nursing profession is more of a calling. It is a service-oriented field. An individual must have the heart and dedication in order to excel in the nursing profession. Nursing is all about helping people. Nursing is all about helping other people get better. Nursing is all about helping the community lead a healthy life. If you have the heart to be of service to others, then the nursing profession is totally right for you!
- Body of Ilonggo nurse killed in New Zealand quake identified
The remains of one of the two missing Ilonggo nurses trapped in a building that collapsed in February 22 earthquake in Christchurch City in New Zealand has been identified. The body of Valquin Bensurto, 23, from [...]
- Hospitals urged to hire ‘surplus nurses’
A GLUT of graduates has thinned out chances of employment for the country's nurses, the owner of one of Cebu's leading medical schools said yesterday. Dr. Potenciano Larrazabal Jr., owner and president of Cebu Doctor's University, [...]
- More want to be doctors as global demand for nurses declines
Amid the decline in the global demand for Filipino nurses, more graduates of science-related courses are now pursuing a degree in medicine, the Board of Medicine said over the weekend. Board of Medicine member Jose Cueto [...]
- The only Filipino nurse to pass Japan’s nursing exam
Nurse Ever Lalin, like others in the first batch of 98 nurses and caregivers who went to Japan May last year for a training stint preparatory to taking the Japanese nursing licensure exam, had no [...]
- Judge Sides With Pinoy Nurse Fired For Speaking in Tagalog
FAIRFAX, Virginia - The Maryland Department of Labor reversed an order that withheld unemployment benefits from one of three Filipina nurses who were fired from a Baltimore hospital for speaking Tagalog. Administrative judge Stuart Breslow sided [...]